Sunday 28 August 2011

A New Hugh

I don't know whether to feel annoyed or vindicated. Presumably prompted entirely by my cartoon of him looking like a pig when eating pigs, then looking like a fish when eating fish, Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall appeared in  yesterday's Guardian dressed as a cabbage, to announce that these days he is almost completely vegetarian.

Since you are obviously reading this, Hugh, congratulations. Your article finally acknowledges that  "we need to eat more vegetables and less flesh because vegetables are the foods that do us the most good and our planet the least harm." He (I think I can drop the vocative now) still believes in "being a selective omnivore", which seems to me pointless dallying when he's already admitted that meat eating is cruel  and environmentally damaging, but I'm ready to call a truce. I'm just glad that I didn't completely miss the opportunity to roundly insult him before he went public with his "small revolution."

It looks like my years of passionately loathing this particular man are over, but nevertheless I am pretty glad. His unexpected conversion from the church of bacon is a single step in a slow but inexorable movement away from meat. It may be that his aubergine and green bean curry looks like dog-sick with grass in it, but I am the last person to discourage anyone from eating it.

No comments:

Post a Comment